Some people shy away from tuna, but it really is a wonderful staple in so many recipes! This sandwich adds red onion, horseradish mustard and celery for a flavor combo that’s hard to beat.
- Servings: 4 sandwiches
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4-6 minutes per sandwich
- 2 (5-ounce) cans tuna, drained
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- ½ celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon horseradish mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices sourdough bread 4 slices cheddar cheese 4 tablespoons (½ stick)
- unsalted butter, softened
1. Place the tuna in a medium bowl and mash with a fork. Add the onion, celery, and parsley.
2. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine.
3. Place two slices of bread on a clean work surface. Scoop 4 to 5 tablespoons of the tuna onto one slice of bread and top with
1 slice of cheese. Butter the second slice of bread and place on top.
4. In a medium skillet, melt ½ tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Once the butter is sizzling, add the sandwich, butter-side up.
5. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until browned, then ﬂip and cook on the second side for 2 to 3 minutes more, until browned.
6. Set the sandwich on a plate to cool slightly.
7. Repeat to make 3 more sandwiches. (You can also use a larger skillet and cook two sandwiches at a time.) Cut in half and serve.