Adding spinach to this tried-and-true recipe is a no-brainer. Lightly breaded chicken breasts on top of spinach and covered with your favorite marinara with melted mozzarella makes for a flavorful and quick dinner.
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil 1½ cups marinara sauce 2 cups baby spinach
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 slices
- In a shallow dish, whisk the egg with 2 tablespoons water.
- Combine the panko and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
- Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper and place into the dish with the egg mixture. Turn to coat evenly.
- Coat the chicken with the panko mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 chicken pieces to the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through. Wipe the pan clean and repeat with the remaining oil and chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and pour half of the pasta sauce into the bottom of the skillet.
- Place the baby spinach in 4 piles around the pan. Gently lay one piece of chicken on top of each pile.
- Evenly top each piece of chicken with the remaining sauce and mozzarella slices.
- Heat under the broiler for 2 to 4 minutes until the cheese just melts and begins to brown.
- Serve immediately.