If you’ve never had a Monte Cristo, we highly recommend giving it a try! An interesting combination of ingredients puts this sandwich in both categories of breakfast and lunch — whichever you choose you’ll find it delicious!
- Servings: 1 sandwich
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 2 thick slices brioche bread 1 teaspoon grainy mustard 2 slices Jarlsberg cheese 2–3 ounces sliced
- smoked ham 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- Confectioners’ sugar, for sprinkling
- Strawberry or raspberry preserves
1. Spread the mayonnaise on one slice of bread. Spread the mustard on the other slice of bread.
2. Top each slice of bread with a slice of cheese. Add the ham on top of one of the slices and place the other piece of bread on top, cheese- side down.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the egg and half-and-half together.
4. In a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter starts to sizzle, dip the sandwich into the egg and coat evenly on both sides.
5. Add the sandwich to the skillet and cook until brown, then ﬂip and brown the other side, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
6. Serve warm, with a sprinkle of confectioners’ sugar and a side of preserves.